Thursday, October 4, 2007

HW:17 Leave it to the "Professionals"!

I read Sexism in our Everyday Professional Lives. Posted by Dr. Confused. The URL is http://www.feministe.us/blog/archives/2007/10/03/sexism-in-our-everyday-professional-lives/ . I wanted to read this article because I thought that it was very interesting and there was a bunch of different stories that have affected woman. I find this interesting and heart wrenching to hear some of these stories. Some of these stories are shocking! To hear how men can put a woman down. I mean to put anyone in an awkward situation is just wrong. Especially in any work place. Work is suppose to be professional. I hate the fact that men think that woman are not as high in status as them. They think they are better. One of the stories was about a man giving a presentation and he said “I would like to apologize to the ladies in the room. I’m afraid my presentation has many formulae and graphs and other mathematical details.” He makes it seem like woman have no idea what math is. That guy just assumed that no girl in that room was smart. Sometimes, women can be even smarter than men. I don’t understand how guys can stereotype. One implication of the Dr.’s treatment of feminism is this quote: “I haven’t experienced too much as a female student in such a male dominated area, but every now and then I get somebody doubting my credibility because I was born with two x chromosomes.” I completely agree with this quote. Just because we are women doesn’t mean that we don’t know anything. We are smart and we don’t need men to degrade us. Its just wrong. Especially during work because we are all equals.

No comments: