Thursday, October 18, 2007

HW 21: Dear Amy...

Dear Amy,
I actually did read the book “A Room of Ones Own”. I actually read it in my Blogging class a couple of months ago and I thought it was confusing too! I know it is a hard read, but I will do my best to try to help you. Don’t freak out. It will be OK. I actually really did like this book. My blogging class is talking about woman and woman’s rights. I bet that is what your English teacher wanted to portray. So in chapter one, the narrator Mary is asked to describe woman and fiction. Which she thinks it is really difficult to do. She says that she needs money and one room to think. She thinks by the river bend in Oxbridge. As she does that she thinks of fish and grabbing ideas in the river. Then a guy named beetle tells her that woman cannot be on the grass, so she has to move. In my opinion and the way I took it, it was degrading to woman. I think that if you take each sentence and break it down then you might be able to understand it better. That is what I did. I think that it is hard to understand, because there are a lot of symbols figures. But, just take it slow and read it maybe a couple of times. If you have any other questions about chapter 1, just email me back ok? Don’t get stressed out it will be alright.
Sincerely, Kerri

1 comment:

Tracy Mendham said...

Yes, she does begin by talking about women and fiction, and then begins to show the reader the process by which she began to believe that a woman must have money and a room of her own if she is to write fiction. The descriptions and comparison of the men's university, Oxbridge, to the women's college, Fernham, show the difference between men's and women's access to education, tradition, and money.