Thursday, October 18, 2007

HW 22: Woolf Isn't She Ironic?

After reading A Room of Ones Own by Virginia Woolf I noticed a lot of irony and sarcasm. She seems very sarcastic and ironic when she states “Woman do not write books about men--a fact that I could not help welcoming with relief, for if I had first to read all that men have written about woman, then all that woman have written about men, the aloe that flowers once in a hundred years would flower twice before I could set pen to paper” (Woolf 27). I think that she is being sarcastic because she is basically she is saying that there is too many books to read about men talking about woman and woman talking about men. Also, I think that this is ironic because she is says that woman don’t write books about men and she is actually writing about men in this book. She also says “When the arguer agues dispassionately he thinks only of the argument; and the reader cannot help thinking of the argument too” (Woolf 34). This is very ironic because she is arguing passionately about arguing passionately and she still is thinking about the argument. I found this next quote very ironic because she is talking “bad” about men in this book. She states “I found myself adopting a new attitude towards the other half of the human race” (Woolf 38). As she says “It is useless to ask such questions; for nobody can answer them” (Woolf 40). I think that this is ironic because she is answering these questions day by day by living life. I think that she has a really strong opinion in the way that males and females are different. I believe that by living life and hitting challenges on her way, she is answering them in her own way.